Thursday 15 November 2007

Rehearsal Night

Last night I attended the usual Wednesday night rehearsal of the Harlow Concert Band. This was a bit different in so much that we were led for most of the evening by the conductor of the City of Peterborough Concert Band, Mr Henry Clydesdale. He came down to take the rehearsal with a view to practise the music we are to play together in a forthcoming joint concert. I unfortunately won’t be able to do the concert but it was good to play anyway.

My highlight of the evening was playing ‘The Blue and the Gray’. This is a medley of songs from the American Civil War. It includes such well known numbers as Aura lee, The Yellow Rose of Texas and John Brown’s Body. There were a couple more but my Limey ears could recognise the melodies but not the titles. A special moment I thought was when the Bassoon and the Piccolo played together. Both players are very accomplished and gave a very fine performance. It should be a good concert.

On Saturday we play in the Harlow Town square at the ceremony of turning on the Christmas lights. It seems a little early to be playing carols but hopefully it will put everyone in the festive spirit. I just hope it is not too cold or worse still, raining. I am not keen to play outside.

No comments: