Monday 12 November 2007

Harlow Playhouse Concert



Last night I played Tenor sax for the Harlow Concert Band in a Remembrance Day service at the Harlow Playhouse, Essex. It was a great night and a big thrill for me to play on this stage. I remember seeing Status Quo play there in the early 1970’s and so last night brought back many memories of that evening. Our programme of music did not include any 12 bar blues or rock and roll but we did play some good music which was appreciated by a nearly packed house.

Because of the occasion we did play a lot of military style tunes. Soldiers in the Park, Steadfast and True and the New Colonial March kept the audience tapping their feet in a 2/4. We also gave them something to sing along with, with songs such as Keep Smiling Through and Land of Hope and Glory (with reprise). Mike Pearce, our conductor, as a liking for the theme music to the TV series Band of Brothers. It is a beautiful tune and I hope he thinks we gave it justice.

For my part, I enjoyed playing As Time Goes By. My fellow tenor saxophonist played the solo part but it is also a nice piece to play the accompanying harmonies to. It has a good swing feel to it which is fun to play on the sax.

No comments: