Friday 9 November 2007

Frank Hardcastle (my father)

Although I am middle aged I have recently started to learn how to play clarinet and saxophone. This is because of the major regret in my life. Not learning when I was a kid. I had all the chances I needed, but ignored them. There were far more interesting things to concentrate on such as the 1966 World Cup, Georgie Best and the Beatles. But now I have realised how stupid I was and am putting it right.


The chances I refer to above are because of my Father. He was a semi-professional jazz musician for most of his life. He played, and still does, piano, clarinet, saxophone and flute. He can also arrange and compose music. When I was a kid I would hear him practise every day and the sound of music would fill the house. I am sure now that this unwittingly soaked into my head, only to come out later in life. Back then I had no idea what I was being exposed to.


So, this blog starts with a very brief description of my musical heritage, the story of Frank Hardcastle and how he shaped my love of music.


He started playing piano when he was young. He had the usual lessons and spent many hours picking out tunes on the family piano. I am guessing here, but I suppose being exposed to the music played on radio during the 1940's he was bound to develope and ear for dance band and jazz music. In any case he ended up with a saxophone and taught himself how to play it. By the fifties he was in the Royal Air Force at St Athan, Wales doing his national service. Whilst there he became involved in playing in military and dance bands.


Looking back he told me that this was the time when he learnt most about how to be a musician by following tempo and synchronising with the other members of the band. By the time he came out of the RAF he was ready to face the world of a part time dance band player. These were the times I remember so well. I still have the mental image of him in his dress suit smelling of cheap aftershave and carrying his old battered saxophone case out of the door on his way to some gig.


This was his main form of musical income for many years. But he also had a day job working in a factory which, he hated. I can well remember him complaining about the music he had to listen to on the radio in the workshop. He hated listening to pop music and the continual playing of the 'Hit Parade' drove him mad. I think a particular record that gave him a great deal of angst was Mary Hopkin's 'Those were the day's'. He said it was repeated so much that he didn't think he could stand it any longer.


Ironically it was pop music that proved to be the help he needed. An old friend from his RAF days was a man called Norman Smith. What dad did not know was that Norman had entered the music business as a recording engineer for EMI and became the chief engineer for the Beatles. He eventually launched his own singing career under the name Hurricane Smith and had a hit single with 'Don't Let it Die'. Norman wished to follow this success with a second single where he wanted to include a jazzy alto saxophone solo. He contacted dad and invited him to play. As a result the single 'Oh babe waht would you say' was born. It was very successful, not only in the Uk but also in Europe and the US. This led dad to give up the factory and work full time touring with Hurricane Smith. He literally gave up his day job.


For my brother and I this was a fantastic time. I loved telling my mates at school that dad was to be on Top of the Pops. We once visited the studios at Abbey Road and later saw Slade and Alvin Stardust live at Granada TV studios Manchester.


Franks professional career took many turns. He did a bit of session work with EMI playing on recordings made by such pop icions as Lena Zavoroni, The Pretty Things and Beranrd Manning. In 1975 He played on a record by Johnny Wakelin about Muhammed Ali called 'Black Superman'. He continued to work with Hurricane Smith on a couple more singles and was Musical Director on the 'Don't Let it Die' album.


Over the years he aslo played with some big bands including Herb Miller (Glenns brother) and Ray Shields. Eventually he went back to jazz , etching out a living with various combos playing in pubs and clubs around the country. He has now retired and living in rural Norfolk.


So, thanks dad. I may not have taken to music when I should have, but it is never too late to start. I get an enormous amount of pleasure from playing my saxophone and clarinet and feel that it is because of the influence you have given me over the last 40 odd years.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frank Hardcastle is an amazing gentleman.
He is my grandfather and listening to him play when I was younger has influenced me very much in my understanding of music.
James Beaman.

Charlie said...

Those sax breaks on old Normans records were great. I hope your dad is well and thank him for the music.

Anonymous said...

We lived in Norfolk in the 1990's and saw Frank playing, with Christine Vance singing, at a pub in Strumpshaw one evening.
Great talent (I still have the casette tape at home. Somewhere).

Eric said...

Yeah, I remember Frank. I played vibes and piano with him at a weekly pub jazz gig in Hertford (Reindeer, I think the pub was called}. He could do an excellent Earl Bostic impersonation on alto. Give him my best when you next see him.
Eric

SUSQUEDA54 said...

every time I hear his solo in "Oh Babe (What Would You Say)", just gives me goose bumps (even after all these years)
(Josep, from Girona - Spain)

SUSQUEDA54 said...

... And I guess since you've seen this video:
http://youtu.be/wJdkCs5RdQg

Zoot1963 said...

Jeff, Frank was my sax teacher in the late 70's/early 80s, and he was very influential in my style of playing. So much so that in fact, I now have the same alto set-up he was using at the time - a Conn underslung with a white Roc mouthpiece. I'd love to get in touch with him if possible.

Tom said...

Great performance by your Dad with Hurricane on that Tonight Show clip!

Anonymous said...

Jeff - you have no idea how much your words relate to me. Mt grandfather's name was Frank also and he played piano professionally. He jammed with Lou Armstrong at the musician union conventions in New York city. He also taught Alan Alda to play piano as well.

They asked if I wanted to learn and sadly I said no. I was too interested in baseball and other activities.

Music is in my family and in my blood. I missed my opportunity to learn young-

take care friend

Anonymous said...

Frank was our first choice alto player in the band I led in the 60's, The Ron Francis Sound. A great musician, friend and gentleman.

joe green said...

Would this be the same frank hardcastle who lived in norfolk ?...i lived there back in 92 i think ..and i was having sax lessons from frank

eugene cantera said...

Jeff - this is one of the songs that really struck a chord with me from my youth. I was a rebellious kid in 1971 but on this we agreed...my folks LOVED this tune and so did I... I never knew who the alto player was - I think my folks thought it was a tenor sax..may have mentioned Sam Butera (who also had a big growling sound). I am now a teacher and player in Dallas and I write about music and music education. I am featuring this tune in one of our dlp 1 Series saxophone posts in late October. I will try and find you via twitter or post a link here. Cheers and congrats on picking up the horn! Pops would be proud :)

Dolores Petersen said...

This is fantastic to find information on Mr. Hardcastle. I worked at NBC 30 Rock in the 70s and thought it nostalgic to see the Johnny Carson stage again in the Hurricane YouTube and then when I heard your Dad I just had to do a search to praise his work. FANTASTIC

Anonymous said...

Just love listening to that huge growly sound...fabulous musician

truthseeker said...

You are so lucky to have such a talented grandfather. What would you say is my cheer me up song when I sad. The sax blew me away and it's a shame he is retired, I would love to hear him play on person. Tell him people will always remember his playing and Thankyou

Unknown said...

I was lucky enough to play trumpet with Frank in a few big bands. When I was a kid I loved the Hurricane Smith recordings and was star struck when I found out Frank worked with him. He is a really nice man and was always very encouraging to younger players. I would say that Frank had a gift for music that cannot be taught.

Barry said...

I still recall the great gigs I did with Frank at the Cannons hotel in Ware Hertfordshire a long time ago and his great jazz feel in accompanying a singer. I still have an unfinished song which he wrote but we never got round to recording. Frank and I went to the same east LONDON school and am still playing and singing, hope he still plays a cool sax.

Eddy said...

Greetings from the state's. We were blessed to have your dad actually blow sax accompany Norman "Hurricane " Smith. Every time I hear this beautiful tune it reminds me of my Dad. Mom always told us kids that our dad serenaded her outside her parents front yard. Dad also replied when he heard your dad Frank's solo,"that guy can play",I wonder what's his name..great to hear a sax in today's music.

Anonymous said...

Yes. Lingwood near blofield norwich. He was married to my nan Jean.

Anonymous said...

James, Mr. Hardcastle was a most talented saxophonist.
In the early 70s, music
was so varied, disco, ballads and so much variety. Hurricane Smith with the great saxophone player Mr. Hardcastle I played their records very often.
Sadly, music like this is gone forever.