Saturday 1 March 2008

Pirates of Penzance

Last night I saw The Carl Rosa production of Pirates of Penzance. We had seen the Mikado some weeks ago and enjoyed it very much. Pirates was also a good show with excellent costumes and sets but it lacked something. I am not sure what it was though. I thought the script lacked warmth places but that is down to Gilbert and Sullivan not the production company of this edition. The singing was good by the main cast and so was the characterisation, but still something just did not work.

I am sorry to say that I did not enjoy Jo Brand. For me this guest appearance did not work. She could not sing which may be forgivable on its own but she could not act either. She looked uncomfortable on stage and very awkward during her songs. Sorry Jo, a brave attempt but stay with what you know.

No comments: