Thursday 6 March 2008

My First Gig

Have you ever thought it would be a good idea to do something and then wished you had not even got out of bed that day? That is how I felt yesterday evening. I went along to a blues jam session at the Half Moon PH, Bishops Stortford. I originally meant to go and just listen with a view to deciding whether to play at a later date but after a little encouragement from others on the Breakfast Room Forum (http://www.breakfastroom.co.uk/) I thought, what the hell lets have a go. It turned out to be a bad decision.

When I got there I quickly realised that this was not what I had expected. You see I did not think it through properly. This was an electric blues club. People come here to play electric guitar and as loud as they can. They were experienced semi-professionals. Not amateurs like me who was looking to gain experience after a one week jazz course. I knew none of the songs, I knew none of the chord progressions and I was bricking it. By the time I was called up, nearly two hours into the night, my ears were bursting and my mind was a complete blank. I had prepared a little list of blues scales that I intended to refer to when I needed it but the sound coming out of my sax bore no resemblance to what the other guys were playing. Indeed most of the time I could not even hear the sound coming out of my sax. I stood next to a very loud drummer and in front of an enormous guitar amp. There were so many distractions I could not even remember my own name.

Should I have just abandoned the idea and not got up to play? I did consider it for a long while. The biggest problem I had was that I did not know enough about the style of blues being played. Because of all the guitars this was more blues/rock than shuffle. I stood on stage with Led Zeppelin and went down like a lead balloon. Any small number of jazz licks I had learnt were absolutely no use at all. The rhythm and blues I had played at the improvising course was no use at all. I was out of my depth.

So, would I go back? Not on your life. Was it worth it? Yes. I got a great deal of experience out of it. Not in playing terms but knowing what it is like to play on stage in that type of atmosphere. And anyway I am 53 years of age and for fifteen minutes I was in a rock band, which alone was worth the £3 entrance fee. I gave myself 10 out of 10 for courage but nil point for musical content. I got home and had a very large scotch before going to bed with my ears ringing like a church on a Sunday morning. I felt embarrassed about my performance but proud I did not chicken out.

Next Wednesday I will go back to my nice quiet concert band with pages of notes telling me what to play. I can’t wait.


No comments: