Friday 15 February 2008

Victor Obsust

I got back yesterday from the Benslow Music Trust and had a fantastic week learning how to play jazz with Viktor Obsust. There were around twenty of us on the course with various kinds of instruments and levels of experience.

I was very impressed by Viktor’s approach to the subject. He told us that we should play the music that is within us. ‘Making the sound is first, and then comes the theory’ he said. This was very much the theme of the course. My first attempts at improvising sounded dreadful because I did not have the knowledge of what notes to play. I needed the tools to give me a better choice. That’s where learning chords came in. I did lots of work on chords beforehand but had not developed the skills required to use this knowledge whilst actually playing. Viktor coached us to just play and the right sounds would come. If we didn’t like the sound change the note until you did. It may only be a semitone away.

The course was structured in such a way as to allow as much time as possible for playing. At each session we were split into groups of five and given a book containing 557 standard tunes and sent away to a small rehearsal room to practice a couple of tunes. Once this had been done we then reconvened in the main hall and performed our choice of music o the other groups complete with a chorus or two each improvising. This is when I realised that whilst I had some ideas on phrases I had no idea what notes to play within them. I tried to just mess with the melody which is fine if the melody has plenty of notes per bar, but some were a bit simple and therefore I did not have many notes to choose from.

So I changed my strategy and just listened to the harmony and let the music flow. I can’t say it was good but I did feel a lot better and I felt that I was making better progress. The course did have a theoretical content. But it was more discussion than textbook work. We spoke about 3rds and 7ths and how they related to the sounds we wish to make. I must admit I found this all very inspiring and am determined to learn more about theory so that I can make a more informed decision on how to make interesting music.

But what of the man himself? Viktor Obsust is a classically trained pianist from a very strict eastern European background. He taught piano and double bass at the Bratislava State Conservatoire. He told me that he started to learn piano at a very early age but taking up the double bass was his act of rebellion. He is now runs workshops on jazz improvisation and world music. I found his teaching methods both fascinating and enjoyable. As one might expect his knowledge of harmonies and jazz chords is extensive and he passes on this knowledge with a smile on his face and a passion that is contagious. Added to which he has one of the most remarkable goatee beards I have ever seen.

If you want to improvise and want to learn in a fun and supportive atmosphere I would urge you to take this course.

1 comment:

Son of Django said...

Glad to hear it went well mate. Will you be buying a beret and dark glasses soon?