Wednesday 2 January 2008

Learning to Play Jazz

I have not made any serious resolutions for the New Year. Except the annual ones that I never complete like, going on a diet or not touching the hard stuff anymore. But I have got a music project for 2008. I have decided to have a serious go at learning to play jazz. I have had a half-hearted attempt before but got dazed and confused and gave up. But I do love jazz and the more I listen and watch the stuff the more my desire to play increases. I have been told by a Jazz musician of 50 years experience that I am wasting my time. His point of view was that at the old age of 53 it is too late to learn and I should have started in my youth. Well that is only an opinion and I think I will have an attempt to prove him wrong.

So, my initial strategy is to read and digest the Jamey Aebersold book ‘How to play Jazz and Improvise’. My brother bought me a great book for Christmas on how to phrase during improvisation so the two9 should go well together. I know I must concentrate more on learning scales and chords and should practise these more than I already do, but now I have to look at the different jazz scales and how to use them. Listening to others is important and I already listen to a lot on CD, radio and live at the club so that is covered. But instead of just listening with a tapping foot I will need to try and analyse the music more, maybe even remembering some phrases that I could use.

Next is formal education. I will try and find a tutor but in the meantime I have signed up a week’s course at the Benslow Music Trust in February. This will give me a target to aim for and will hopefully give me enough incentive to study every day so as not to look a complete idiot in 6 weeks time. Finding a tutor who is prepared to give me an hour’s lesson on a Saturday afternoon is going to be hard but I will research it and see what I can find.

So, here goes it. If any reader has any tips on how they learnt please post a comment. I have a big point to prove and I need all the help I can get. I will of course post my progress on this blog.

No comments: