Monday 21 January 2008

Julian Marc Stringle

Last Thursday we went to Googlies to see the clarinettist Julian Marc Strangle. I have seen him before not only at the club but also at my one and only visit to Ronnie Scott’s. He is a fine player and has a wonderful tone. It was a good night with lots of good music. Pauline, my partner, thought I did not like it. She said the expression on my face throughout the night was of a constant frown. I was not aware of it and did enjoy the music, but it may have been that I was concentrating on Stringles mannerisms. Firstly, I noticed that when he is listening to another member of the bands solo he constantly checking his reed and mouthpiece. I play clarinet and I know that it is important to have them set right but he seemed to be checking it every couple of seconds. I think that he may have felt self conscious about being on stage and not doing anything. Secondly when he hit a very high note he leant back, turned his body and pushed his right side towards the audience. This sort of mannerism seems common with musicians and I suppose is comparable with a rock guitarist screwing his face up when playing a high note. And lastly Julian has very long hair which, was getting into his mouth when playing and so he had to continually wipe away with his hands. Every now and then he made noises of complaints. I could not help thinking, “Why not just get it cut”.

But this is not to say this was not a great night. The jazz was fantastic as always and this club just gets better and better.

No comments: