Tuesday 18 December 2007

Memories of My First Concert

I have registered with the ‘Sax on the Web’ forum. It can be good fun and sometimes has interesting topics under discussion. One I saw today had a remark about playing in a concert band and how it improves ones musicianship. I posted a reply but it got me thinking about my early days playing in a band.

I am largely self taught. I have had help from my father but he lives quite a way away and so I don’t see him much. Anyway when I decided to take up playing I practised everyday. It was a daily ritual of coming home from work and playing for an hour before I had something to eat. My progress was very good. But after a year or so I felt the need to play with others. After a lot of searching on the internet I finally found a band in Rayleigh, Essex called ‘Harmonie Concert Band’ and joined them. I obviously found it very difficult to start with and usually lost my place in the music very quickly. However, as the weeks went on it got easier and easier. I still was a long way from playing well but at least I was keeping up and playing a lot of the music.

My big memory though is the first concert I took part in (25 June 2005). It was at a VE/VJ day Anniversary event at a TA centre in Great Wakering. I was doing fine until we played some Glenn Miller stuff. My problem came during Moonlight Serenade. I was enjoying myself so much I started to laugh and could not continue playing. I tried but the thrill it gave me to be sitting in the centre of that marvellous sound just touched me so much. Every time I put my mouth to the instrument and tried to blow I could only laugh more. I will never forget that night as it has spurred me on to experience it more. I don’t laugh now but I do enjoy myself just as much.

That’s what I love about music!

No comments: